The state I live in India is not the coldest and only some hill stations nearby would need a room heater. And trust me living everyday with 0 degree temperature does not sound healthy or good.
Especially for small children who have low tolerance levels. Thus you should invest in the best oil filled room heater in India for a better living.[Buying Guide]
And oil filled room heaters in India are somewhat better than electric heaters.[Check the comparison]
best oil filled room heater in India
- Morphy Richards OFR 13F 13-Fin 2900 Watts Oil Filled
- Morphy Richards OFR 09 2000-Watt Oil Filled Room Heater in India
- Usha 3809 F 2000-Watt Oil Filled Room Heater
- Havells OFR – 13Fin 2900-Watt PTC Fan Heater
- Singer OFR 11 FINS 2900 Watts Oil Filled Room Heater
- Bajaj oil filled room heater India
The running cost is low but the upfront cost of an oil filled room heater in India is much higher.
Considering you live in a cold climate and the oil heater may serve you for 15-20 years, that is a good investment.
People in the areas like Shimla, Manali, Darjeeling or near the Himalayas should invest in it.
Reviews of the best oil filled room heater in India
Morphy Richards is a known brand in the room heater industry. And unlike radiant heaters this oil filled heater has a 400 watt PTC fan to spread the heat better.
This oil heater has 13 fin radiator with oil and it can keep the room warmer for longer when the switch is off. Also there is very less noise but the fan makes some noise.
And it also has safety tilt and auto thermal shut off to prevent overheating.
- 13 oil filled fins.
- 2500 watts of power, can work to 300 sq feet room
- Safety feature.
- 400 watt PTC fan
- Comes with wheels and mounting plate
- 13 fin an oil filled room heater is faster than lower fin numbers.
- 2 years warranty
- Fan helps spreading the heat
- Low power consumption
- Low Noise
- No Maintenance
- Fairly large in size
- 15kg in weight
- Keep away from pets and children.
- Body panels or Finns are not tough, handle with care.
This Morphy RIchards 9 Fin oil filled radiator is good for medium sized rooms. The cost of this is lower than the 13 fin version and budget buyers can use this.
But note that it will be slower than the 13 fin version and does not have a fan to spread the heat. Although for a small to medium sized room, you might not need a fan.
And all the models have 2 years of warranty and comes with warranty card.
- 9 Fin model for medium or small sized room.
- 2000 watt power consumption.
- Safety features
- Comes with wheel trolley
- Less costly than 13 fin models.
- Good for small to medium sized homes
- Low noise
- Low power consumption
- No maintenance
- Not for big rooms
- Outer fin material is not so durable.
Usha is a well established brand in terms of home appliances. And here is an oil filled heater by them and this works well.
It has three heat settings at 800 watt, 1200 watt, 2000 watt which is suitable for cold northern weather.
And to spread the heat there is a 400 watt PTC fan.
- Heat adjustment knob
- 400 watt fan
- Adjustable Thermostat
- Powder coated fin for rust protection
- Portable as it has wheels
- Cord winder
- Portable and suitable for medium sized rooms.
- Protected fins from rust
- Adjustable Heat
- PTC fan to spread heat
Here is another 13 fin oil filled room heater with a fan from a company named Havells. Since this has 13 fins, it works faster to warm up the room than other variations. And also has a fan to spread the heat further.
The max power consumption is 2900 watts and with that you can use this for a 300 sq feet room also.
This has three heat settings to control the temperature. And also has a thermostat control.
- 13 fins
- Heat adjustment knob
- PTC FAN
- 2900 watt power
- Can be used for large rooms
- Can be used for quick heating
- Reputed Brand
- Any have complained about customer service.
- Many Received faulty product.
Singer the famous sewing machine brand created one oil filled room heater. This is a 2900 watts machine for large rooms. This has 11 fins thus can warm up a mid sized room quickly.
This also has thermal safety and 3 power settings.
And a PTC fan for faster heating.
- 3 way heating
- 2 year warranty
- Overheat protection
- 1700, 2300 and 2900 watt power motor to control heat.
- High capacity heater for large room
- Power efficient
- Wheels to move around
Some have faced issues with the OFR, after sales delay etc.
Bajaj oil filled room heater is a very beautiful looking one, as per my opinion though. This is a 2400 watt model with 9 fins so it is quick to warm a mid sized room.
It also has a PTC fan to spread the heat faster.
We have earlier used the baja water heater and that lasted for a long time!
- 3 heat adjustment modes with 800 W/ 1200 W/ 2000 W.
- Auto thermal shut off to prevent overheating
- 2 year warranty
- Comes with wheels for transportation
- Good for small to medium size homes
- Smaller in size compared to 13 fin model
- 3 heat settings to adjust
Works within the limit of its, and no cons yet.
Oil heaters are slow when compared to electric heater when it comes to the quickness of warming up the room.
Also once the oil gets warm even if you turn off the switch, the oil filled room heater will still keep you warm. Whereas the electric heater quickly heats up the room and quickly loses the heat when turned off.
For this reason, oil filled room heaters tend to use less electricity than the electric room heaters.
Electric room heaters are very low cost whereas the oil room heaters price starts from at least 8000 INR in India.
Oil heaters warm up slowly and not too dangerous to touch where as the electric heaters quickly heat up and should not be touched at all.
Oil heaters with all those oils inside are more heavy but come with wheels to transport from one room to another. While electric heaters are mostly light weight.
Electric heaters constantly uses electricity thus always emits more sound than an oil heater.
Coverage Area: Before buying an oil filled room heater you should check your room size. More the watt power a room heater consumes, the more it can spread the heat on a larger area.
And the closer you are to the oil filled room heater, the more you will feel the heat.
Noise: Oil heaters are known for low noise and this is also another reason why these are popular with parents. Check the noise level of the model that you like.
Electric Consumption: Here you have to maintain a fine like coverage area and electric consumption. More area requires high wattage and it will increase the electric bill. Oil filled room heaters are more energy efficient than electric versions. But still you have to pick the best watt power to lower the electric bill.
Timer: To run a heater on a cold night, a timer is a great feature. Especially for the oil filled room heaters. Since oil filled room heaters can keep the room warm even when it is switched off you can use the timer option creatively. For example, set the timer for 7 hours at night at 10pm and it will stop and will keep the room warm in the early morning. And while it is switched off.
Humidity and Oxygen level: This is a great reason to choose the oil filled room heater, there are no measurement numbers that you can check though. As all oil field room heaters naturally keep the room humidity intact and do not burn the oxygen.
Portability: oil filled room heaters are heavy and in big size. Thus moving them from one room to another is a challenge. And you should consider if these room heaters come with a trolley. Then it will be easier to move it around the house.
Heat settings: No one can not leave with a room heater with a single heat setting. That will be too low or too high! You will need at least a 3-5 level setting for heat adjustment.
Safety settings: Better fuse and thermostat are the inbuilt safety measures for an oil filled room heater. And you should not place any flammable item in front or on top of the room heater.
Cost: Since you have decided to get an oil filled room heater for yourself most probably for the low electric consumption but the cost starts from at least 8k INR in India.
Advantages of Oil heater
- Less Energy Consumption: As the oil gets heated up and stays warm. Even when the machine is turned off the oil stays warm thus it keeps on heating up the room. In this way oil heaters are energy efficient.
- Comfortable: Oil filled room heaters do not dry up the skin much meaning it does not reduce the humidity of the room. Also these oil heaters do not burn the oxygen in the room thus it will not be suffocating.
- Large room and all night: Oil filled room heaters can be used for large rooms. And since it does not burn oxygen and does not dries the skin it is great for night use.
- Touch friendly: The outer surface of the oil heater does not get that much hot that it would burn your hand when touching. This is a good feature for homes with small children and pets.
- Less Noisy: In general oil filled room heaters are less noisy than electric rod based models.
- Environment Friendly: Oil filled room heaters do not burn oxygen and do not emit carbon monoxide thus these are much more eco friendly than other type of room heaters.
- Portable: Although these oil filled room are tend to be heavy, these come with a wheelbase so by using it, you can move it around.
Disadvantages of Oil heaters
Time: Oil heaters do not heat the room instantly, it will take at least 15-20 minutes to warm up a room of 150 sq feet.
Cost: Oil heaters are the most expensive. The price range starts from around 8k in India. If you are looking for a budget room heater then this is not for you.
Heavy: Unlike other heaters oil heaters are bulky and come with wheels to move around.
Dangers of oil heaters
Fire: If the oil heaters have thermal fuses shut off can explode and produce fire and smoke. And it will also spread the oil on the floor and on the walls with a bad smell.
But still oil heaters are safer than electric heaters.
Can I place an oil heater on the carpet?
No, do not place it on carpet since the area will be very hot when the heater is radiating heat. And it can catch fire, and also do not keep any flammable material on the oil heater.
Is an oil heater good for health?
Since these oil heaters do not burn oxygen thus at night you will not feel suffocated. And unlike other room heaters it does not dry the room and your skin. Thus it feels more natural.
Are oil heaters safe to leave on overnight?
In the cold Indian areas oil heaters are safe to leave on overnight but check if the thermostat is working fine. Without that heat will be uncontrollable. And do not place anything on or below this oil heater.
How long do oil filled heaters last?
Since you do not need to replace the oil in the oil filled room heaters and the coil deteriorates slower if the temperature remains around 750-1000 F then one oil filled room heater can last up to 20 years. In India you can assume that these oil filled heaters will last for at least.
Can an oil heater explode?
It is a rare event but oil heaters can explode if their thermal fuses fail to shut them off. This can result in fumes, black smoke and leaked oil. You can take a safe measure of checking the thermostat and wiring of your house before buying an oil filled room heater.
And also use a 25amp plug and wire to run one.
Where to place the oil heater?
If possible then place the heater in the center of the room. Since oil filled room heaters radiate the heat like a sun and it will be easily spread all over the room.